Be notified when this blog is updated by following me on Twitter. @YT40

Monday, February 23, 2009

Saints destroy church

Chalfont St Peter 4  Christchurch 0


This game had been postponed  the previous Saturday due to the huge quantities of snow that had dropped on this part of the World during January, 2 days prior to this game, the southeast was hit by another covering, but it miraculously disappeared overnight and the club secretary gave me the all clear before I left. I was happy to see a blackbird washing itself in a puddle on my way to the station, all water on the ground had been solid ice for about a fortnight prior to this. The fun started at Kings Cross as British rail decided to make life as difficult as possible for its customers. The gates to the underground were shut due to overcrowding, the official on duty claimed it was just Saturday traffic. Actually, it was because the Victoria line, Hammersmith & City line and various other lines were closed, so nobody could actually get anywhere. Notice how the prices are never reduced when all this work goes on. When there was no sign of the gates opening after 5 mins, I walked across the road to St Pancras and went in that way, I then had a 15 minute wait for a tube. What a joke! It's why I always give myself plenty of time. I reached Gerrards Cross in good time & was pleased to find a Subway, one of my favourite fast food joints. My Italian BMT with cucumber, Jalapeno peppers and bbq sauce was the business! It seems anything involving the word Amersham comes with a steep hill, those of you who've visited Amersham FC may know what I mean and my walk along Amersham Road presented me with another mountaineering challenge. Google maps had directed me to the A413. Thanks lads! for future reference, there's no footpath and walking along the soft grassed route next to this busy dual carriageway was interesting to say the least and I was knackered by the time I reached the ground. After the event, I consulted a map at home and realised I could have avoided this route, ho hum, the adventures of a football traveller! The ground is set just outside this sleepy little town, there's a stand behind the near goal and a more interesting, condemned old stand behind the dugouts. Best to visit here on a nice day, but the pitch was flat although very sticky and the ladies in the tea hut did their best despite being out of their comfort zone. 
This game will probably be remembered as it was Christchurch's first game after the tragic death of their player Marc Burrows, a cancer victim at the young age of 30. Nothing I can say will do this player justice, it was great to see that the minutes silence was impeccably observed by all those present.
I expected Christchurch to be likely winners but they just simply never showed up, I guess for obvious reasons and were brushed aside by a rampant Chalfont. The keeper made an early fumble that almost gifted a goal and then on 9 mins, he did the same again, this time the ball fell to a striker who picked his spot. Chalfont kept pushing forward and on 19 mins, a defender slipped at a crucial point and the attacker on the right of the area shot across the keeper and into the bottom left hand corner. The third came on 33 mins, a lovely diagonal ball was inch perfect finding the left sided attacker who shot across the keeper, this time into the bottom right hand corner. Christchurch had their best chance just before half time, but the Chalfont keeper saved well. Chalfont remained superior in the second half, hit the bar and put the tie to bed on 52 mins when an attacker was put through just beating the offside trap and finishing well past the keeper from 16 yards.
Nice to see a small club like this make the quarter finals.

No comments: