Twitter

Be notified when this blog is updated by following me on Twitter. @YT40

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Good God.

Great Yarmouth Town 1 Godmanchester Rovers 3

Pretty much a red letter day. Loads of different trains to catch and all of them left and arrived on time. I had a while for my connection at Cambridge and decided to have a nose outside. What a nice job of regeneration is going on there. There used to be no shops at all, now there is a Wasabi, Sainsbury's and various pubs and cafes.
Very little time to transfer at Norwich and I had to break into a run to ensure that I caught my connection. Why can they not just leave a few minutes longer?
Great Yarmouth is less than attractive around the station area, the walk to the ground is straightfoward though. I stopped for a bag of chips, there is one table in the shop that had an old couple sitting at it, enjoying their Saturday lunch. I wouldn't be surprised if they have been following the same routine and sitting at the same table for the last 40 years.
I walked past the Minster which was a bit of an after thought having visited York a few weeks earlier and all the shops looked a little bit tired and generally unappealing.
Having found the ground, I discovered that it is literally over the road from the beach. So selfie on the sand it was with a little walk up and down the promenade including sticking my head through one of those cardboard things with a woman in a bikini.
The ground itself is Royalty as far as non-league grounds go. Alleged to be the oldest surviving grandstand in the World, having been opened in I think 1892. Lots of space around the ground, loads of benches to sit on, a long covered area on the far side, a club shop, bar, tea hut and running track which you really didn't notice as the rest of the ground was so interesting.
As for the game, Godmanchester scored twice in the first 20 minutes, despite conceding a goal from a penalty just before half time, they actually won comfortably with a third coming with about 10 minutes remaining.
Great trip.

No comments: